I am a firm believer that your skin is only as healthy as the nutrients you feed your body….and since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I wanted to share my two new favorite raw food smoothie recipes with you.
Did you know that adding one raw smoothie and one vegetable-centered meal (like a big yummy salad) to your day can make a huge difference in your skin’s appearance?
Raw fruits and veggies are loaded with water, fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and minerals….all the goodies necessary for these important skin functions:
- building strong, pliable collagen
- boosting elasticity
- providing natural sun protection
- calming inflammation
- wound healing
- gentle detoxification
Blackberry Coconut Protein Smoothie
fresh or frozen organic blackberries (1 pint)
1 young thai coconut
1 scoop protein powder (preferably brown rice or hemp – I use Clearvite, and Warrior Food is also great)
- crack open coconut and pour out water into blender
- scoop out coconut meat and add to blender
- add berries to blender
- cover and blend until smooth
- add protein powder to smoothie and blend
*if berries are fresh, add a few cubes of ice to the mix!
Banana Greens Smoothie
1-2 slightly frozen bananas (pick bananas when they are yellow and slightly spotted, peel and place in freezer for a bit)
1 head of romaine lettuce (organic)
1 pear, chopped and seeded
2 kiwis, peeled and chopped
handful of spinach, rinsed
- add banana(s) and water to blender or food processor
- chop the ends off and rinse romaine lettuce
- add romaine leaves to blender or food processor until blended completely
- add optional ingredients, if desired, one at a time, until completely blended
I’m also really loving Vegetable Juice for snacking in between meals – especially because I can drink it in the car on the way to meetings or errands. Evolution makes a great Organic V drink, but also try out your local juice bar.
Here’s a great combo to start out with. Not too sweet, but not too intense either!
- Carrot (for Vit A and sweetness)
- Beet (one of the perfect foods – great for cleansing)
- Celery (huge water content)
- Parsley (greens!)