Allyu spa blog posted this great article on prenatal spa treatments: Preparing for Baby
I agree that prenatal massage and acupuncture are both very beneficial to both mama and baby during the months of pregnancy. In addition to these treatments, prenatal facials are also highly recommended. They help to keep mom’s sensitive skin hydrated, balanced and nourished, and encourage physical, mental and emotional relaxation which helps keep baby happy too!
During pregnancy, the rise in hormones like estrogen makes skin more prone to hyperpigmentation, breakouts and dehydration. Receiving regular facial treatments during your pregnancy can help prevent or alleviate some or all of these symptoms.
There are some things to keep in mind, though, before making your spa appointment to ensure the best experience possible:
- Always let the spa staff know you’re pregnant when making your appointment so they can partner you with a therapist experienced in prenatal treatments who it comfortable treating moms-to-be. If they aren’t comfortable and confident- you wont be either!
- Limit the use of any strong perfumes, stimulating essential oils, hydroxy acids, dyes, parabens or retinoids (Vitamin A.)
- Stay away from machine-based treatments like microdermabrasion, ultrasound, laser, microcurrent or LED therapy during pregnancy until after baby arrives.
- Drink lots of water before and after your treatment.
- Make sure your therapist knows which acupressure massage points to stay away from (there are a few around the feet and shoulders, for example.)