As an esthetician, I always recommend healthy diets and supplementation to my clients so that they achieve the best and fastest possible results. There are five things I suggest every client add to their diet, in supplement form. One of my lovely clients asked me to post them on bien-être so she could remember and recommend them to her girlfriends as well. So….here you go:
Adding these powerhouse ingredients to your diet will benefit any skincare routine (not to mention, help with digestion, energy levels and more.) They are available at all health food and vitamin shops to make it easy!
1. Alpha Lipoic Acid -This key antioxidant plays many roles in the body and is both water and fat soluble. ALA also re-cycles other antioxidants in the system once they have neutralized a free radical!
2. Co Enzyme Q10 – This water soluble antioxidant not only neutralizes free radicals, it also aids in the production of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate), the form of energy your body uses to fix cellular damage!
3. Vitamins A, C and E – These guys are always seen together in multivitamins and are sometimes considered the skin’s favorite vitamins. All three posses natural antioxidant properties and they all work synergistically in the skin to fully balance and protect. Vitamin A is also known as a skin strengthener and helps to minimize fine lines and hyper-pigmentation. Vitamin C helps to brighten the skin and promote healthy circulation. Vitamin E helps keep the skin protected and moisturized but also aids in healing properties of the skin.
4. B Complex – The B Vitamins provide the body with more energy and better metabolism, but they are great for the skin as well! They aid in proper digestion, which prevents unnecessary dullness, dehydration and acne flare-ups in the skin. I find that they also help keep the skin balanced during certain times of the month.
5. Omega Fatty Acids (fish or flax seed oil) – These are even more important for those of you who do not eat a lot of fish or olive oil. Omegas keep your skin youthful by keeping enough natural oils in the body and skin to help prevent dehydration. The higher the natural oil content in your skin, the younger you look and slower you age.
These nutritious ingredients work best when they are food based because your body has trouble recognizing them as valuable when they are synthetic. If your body doesn’t recognize them, it does not absorb and use them. Also (with the exception of omega fatty acid – which needs to be ingested in oil or oil pill form), these beautiful skin supplements are best absorbed when taken in capsules rather than tablets. You may have to swallow a few more pills to get the recommended dosage this way – but many of the tablets sit in your intestines without dissolving. Capsules break apart in your stomach, releasing the supplement in an easily absorbed powder form.
Want to test a tablet for absorption rate?
Place one tablet in a glass of warm or hot water and let it sit for 30 minutes at least. Check to see if the tablet dissolves partially or completely. If after 30 minutes, you still find an almost whole tablet in your glass – switch to a capsule form of the same supplement.
Take a gentle, food-based Colon Cleanse, like Natural Cleanse Complex (available at Jimbo’s), for the first two weeks you are introducing these new supplements to your body. Our colons get really backed up – especially when consuming meat and dairy on a regular basis. These digestion issues can prevent the release of toxins (which can cause break-outs and dullness) and the absorption of supplements.
Not getting your veggies? Add a green food supplement (like wheat grass or barley grass- both rich in chlorophyll) to the mix!