Vanilla…mmmmmm….we all love this flavor and scent. Would you guess that vanilla pods are actually harvested from an orchid plant? Yep! The vanilla plants have a very short lifespan and their pods need to be harvested within a 24-hour window. After harvesting, the pods are cured and dried for months in order to gain the dark brown color and sweet, rich aroma we know and love. We love the sweet sultry scent of vanilla, and wanted to share some great at-home spa recipes, courtesy of mountainroseherbs.com!
Vanilla Body Oil
3 long vanilla beans
1 1/2 cups jojoba oil
- Slice the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape the seeds from each bean, and add it to a glass jar.
- Chop the empty bean pods into one-inch pieces and add to the jar. Cap the jar and shake the mixture for one minute.
- Store the jar in a dark place for two months to allow the vanilla essence to infuse the oil. During this time, shake the jar every day for 10 to 15 seconds.
- After two months, strain the oil through a tight-mesh strainer, coffee filter, or nylon stocking, then pour the oil into an elegant glass storage bottle.
**For a faster version of this recipe, simply use pure organic vanilla extract instead of the vanilla beans!
Vanilla and Honey Sugar Scrub
3/4 cup organic turbinado sugar
1/4 cup carrier oil of your choice (I like jojoba, sweet almond, apricot or grapeseed)
1 tablespoon raw organic honey
1 teaspoon organic Vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and powdered Vanilla Beans in a bowl. Add oil, honey, and Vanilla extract. Mix and start scrubbing!
Instead of using store bought vanilla extract for your home spa recipes, make you own! It’s really simple and less expensive than purchasing it pre made, but you need a bit of patience…it takes 1-2 months to fully develop before you can use it.
*For those of you who tend to be a bit impatient (like myself) you can purchase a very small amount of pure vanilla extract to use while your homemade version is setting in the pantry.
3-4 whole organic Vanilla Beans
1 cup brandy, vodka, or bourbon
- Split Vanilla Beans lengthwise with a knife, leaving the seeds inside intact.
- Place Vanilla Beans in a jar, cover with alcohol, and cap tightly.
- Shake the jar for a few seconds every day for 4-6 weeks (while your waiting for dinner to cook.)
- Feel free to gradually add new Vanilla Beans to make your extract even more potent.
- After 4-6 weeks, strain the Vanilla Beans out and voila…you have your extract!