We love Cacao for its ‘super food’ health properties, but we really love Cacao (or white chocolate) butter for the skin!
Cacao butter (better known as coco butter) is the natural fat or oil from the cacao beans that is separated in the process of making coco powder or cacao nibs. Similar in texture to Shea butter, it can be used in recipes with other ingredients and we love it as a substitute fro Shea or coconut oil in body scrubs.
It’s also great to use alone on the skin as a moisturizer. Cacao butter is naturally solid at room temperature but will melt on body contact. It was traditionally used to make moisturizers, lotions and balms more solid. It makes wonderful moisturizer, especially for dry skin or mature skin.
Cacao butter is especially great for:
- under the eyes to prevent dehydration and premature wrinkles
- prevention of pregnancy stretch marks (can be used all over the body daily)
- healing of the skin post sun burn or irritation (be sure skin is closed- no open wounds – and not infected)
Here’s a simple ‘at home’ cacao butter moisturizer recipe:
- Gently melt the coco or cacao butter in a pan and remove from heat
- Add in sweet almond oil – or other carrier oil of choice and essential oils of choice (lavender, geranium, sandalwood are nice choice and are safe during pregnancy – *a little goes a long way)
- Pour into glass jar for storage
- Let cool to room temperature
You can find raw cacao, or coco butter at your local health food stores, or here at Raw Guru