When we think of coffee we usually think of the brown aromatic beans in paper sacks at the store or local cafe. Actually, coffee beans, before they are processed and roasted, reside in a bright red fruit called the coffee berry. This berry is loaded with high concentrations of antioxidants and other vital nutrients like polyphenols, chlorogenic, caffeic and ferulic acid…all if which improve overall health and work wonders for your skin!
Coffee plants grow on the slopes of high-altitude volcanic mountainsides, and thrive in tropical climates where the intense sun is cooled with ocean breezes and the soil is packed with volcanic minerals. As the plants mature, they produce bright red berries which develop powerful antioxidants to protect them against the damaging effects of UV light and the byproducts of photosynthesis. Coffee fruit also contains polysaccharides and five of the eight essential mono-saccharides. Scientists believe that these eight mono-saccharides play a vital role in order for our immune systems.
These red berries are also known to show the following health benefits: courtesy of Kona Red’s website
• Help fight inflammation.
• Neutralize toxic free radicals that cause aging and disease
• Fight free radical damage.
• Provide exceptional nutrition.
• Provide anti-viral and anti-bacterial benefits.
• Help protect against systemic oxidative stress.
• Help resist sun damage.
• Boost mood and energy.
• Curbs appetite.
• Help reduce the incidence of oxidative pathologies such as coronary heart disease, inflammation and possibly even certain cancers.
• Provide health benefits associated with glucose management, Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome, depression and anxiety and oral health.
Since we love Coffee Fruit for the skin, we have fallen head over heels for Malie Organics Firming Elasticity Cream! That’s because the primary active ingredient is…you guessed it: Hawaiian Coffee Fruit Extract from Kona. It boasts more antioxidant power than any other fruit source – and this particular extract has more than any other coffee derivatives used in skincare brands today.
Coffee Fruit Skin Benefits: courtesy of Malie Organic’s website
The coffee fruit creates and stores unique antioxidants and nutrients to protect its seeds (coffee beans) from the tropical sun and other environmental stress. The result: five superior antioxidants working synergistically to repair cell damage and neutralize the free radicals that cause aging. They also provide dynamic anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial action.
Hawaiian Coffee Fruit Extract contains five exceptional phenolic antioxidant acids developed by nature to work in combination to boost radiance, firm the skin and protect from free radical damage:
- Chlorogenic Acid (with anti-inflammatory properties)
- Caffeic Acid (also with anti-inflammatory properties)
- Ferulic Acid (reacts against free radicals and repairs cell damage)
- Quinic Acid (with anti-viral properties)
- Trigonelline (with anti-bacterial properties to cleanse skin, minimize blemishes and even skin tone)